Saturday, May 3, 2014

Jeremiah 32


Day 33: Jeremiah 32: 1-44

“I am the Lord, the God of all the peoples of the world. Is anything too hard for Me?" (Jeremiah 32: 27, NLT).  
 
People oftentimes wonder why does God allow bad things to happen? They look at different disasters that hit areas whether it’s through natural disasters, terrorism, or any other form of destruction and they wonder why would God do that. We can never fully understand the mind of God but what we can believe is that everything that God allows to happen it is always with a purpose in mind. He tells Jeremiah that the Babylonians are going to come and are going to take over Jerusalem and they are going to burn down the land. Most people would be like what kind of loving and gracious God is this??? However, God has them to burn down the land that the people were worshiping false idols at; there was a purpose in the midst of this destruction. Even when we think about the flood with Noah, His purpose in all that destruction was to get rid of the sin that was present. When you think about difficult times that occur, what is one the first things that people do? They go to church. When disaster strikes, people turn to God. Disasters will turn people to or back to God; some will stick it out and really give their hearts to God whereas others will seek Him temporarily and then go back to their old ways but nonetheless it leads people to seek Him. Sometimes in order for regrowth to happen we have to allow God to completely wipe out and uproot the things that have led us to sin. This can be difficult however because all we can see in the moment is the damage that is being done but we miss that whatever is lost can always be replanted. God promises to the people that He will restore them in the very land that they will lose. Don’t get so focused on looking at what you lose that you never allow God to restore you beyond the point of what you lost. I love this promise of restoration from the Lord:  

“I will certainly bring my people back again from all the countries where I will scatter them in my fury. I will bring them back to this very city and let them live in peace and safety. They will be my people, and I will be their God. And I will give them one heart and one purpose: to worship me forever, for their own good and for the good of all their descendants.  And I will make an everlasting covenant with them: I will never stop doing good for them. I will put a desire in their hearts to worship me, and they will never leave me.  I will find joy doing good for them and will faithfully and wholeheartedly replant them in this land” (Jeremiah 32: 37-41, NLT).

No comments:

Post a Comment